- Instant Gulab Jamun mix (MTR or Gits)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 coarsely grounded cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced pistachio
- 2 tsp oil
- In a large pan, add water, sugar, and ground cardamom seeds and bring it to a boil.
- Let the syrup boil for a minute then remove it from the heat.
- Stir the syrup until the sugar is dissolved.
- Set the syrup aside.
In a bowl, make a the dough of the Gulab Jamun mix. Add some extra oil to it.
Let the dough sit for a few minutes. Knead the dough. Grease your hands with butter before working with the dough.
Divide the dough into about small equal portions and roll them into round balls.
Place the small round balls on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
The thing with baking jamuns is that they have to be lighter in colour than the fried ones. If too dark baked, then they will not absorb the sugar syrup.
Let the gulab jamuns cool off for a few minutes before placing in the hot syrup.
The gulab jamuns should sit in the hot syrup for at least 20 minutes prior to serving.
I made 2 batches of baked jamuns the other day as an experiment.. the first batch came out all nice and the second got a bit dark brown and did not absorb any syrup. The recipe is a trial an error thing, and i tried it because I did not want to stand in the kitchen near the hot oil, frying jamuns!
Tips to keep in mind to make baked jamuns work:
1. the jamuns should be very light brown baked.
2. the sugar syrup has more water than the sugar syrup used for fried jamuns.