Breakfast of the day: Blueberry Bread with Strawberry syrup and Toasted and buttered Roasted Garlic Focaccia
I still have tons of strawberry puree left.. and since the Strawberry bread was a hit, i thought of adding some strawberry to another hit.. blueberry bread!
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree
- 1/2 cup honey or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Warm the water and mix in the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutrs or until frothy.
- In a large pan, mix in the bread flour, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the yeast mixture, honey, strawberry puree and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add in the whole wheat flour 1 cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Add milk after the first cup of flour.
- Add in more milk or flour if needed for kneading into a soft dough.
- Keep dough in a covered, well oiled container, in a warm oven for an hour or until doubled. I usually warm the oven to a 110-120 and keep in the dough container in it.
- Knead the dough on a well floured surface.
- Keep again in a covered, well oiled container for half an hour.
- Add in the blueberries and knead the dough using flour if it is too sticky,
- Make a loaf and place in 9 inch bread pan or on baking sheet.
- Place the bread pan covered with a damp towel in a warm oven for half or hour or until it is almost doubled and the risen dough does not fall flat when pressed.
- Bake bread at 360 degrees F for 25 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on rack before slicing!
Bring to a boil, 1 cup strawberry puree, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Keep stirring. Simmer for another 5 minutes and the syrup is ready!.
This one is headed for Yeastspotting.