I know this week has been a overwhelmingly strawberry week. Cakes, shakes and Bread! I have pureed the rest of the strawberries and frozen them.. so now i dont have to cook too many things to use them up!
This bread had pureed strawberry and had the distinct sweet and sour taste to it. I dint think the bread would take so much of the tangy taste, but it did! Nice, soft, moist, and tangy!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1.5 cups strawberries puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey (or 1 cup for a sweeter bread)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- Warm 2 Tablespoons water and add yeast to it. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes or until it gets frothy.
- In a large pan, mix the puree, honey, salt and milk. (My puree was quite thick. If the puree has a lot of water then adjust quantity of milk accordingly)
- Add in the all purpose flour and yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add in the whole wheat flour one cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Use more milk if needed.
- Keep dough in a well oiled container covered, in a warm oven for an hour or until it doubles.
- Knead dough again and place in a bread pan.
- Place bread pan in warm oven with a pan of boiling water.
- Let dough rise for half an hour or till it dough doubles, and when pressed, does not collapse.
- Remove water pan, place the bread pan on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. The baking sheet or tray under the pan helps with a softer bottom crust.
- Cool on rack before slicing!
Sending this one to Yeastspotting