Half an hour before baking
I can of course make sandwiches with sliced breads, but it is another dimension of fun to actually have the same bread shaped as buns!:) So i made these simple buns with a seedy top:). They were yumm to eat warm with salted butter at dinner time! I will make some cool sandwiches with these tomorrow. Note to self: I should stick more seeds next time!
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons flax seed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- oil for greasing
- 1 egg beaten
- Warm the water and add sugar and yeast to it. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add 1 cup bread flour and mix well.
- Add in the salt, milk and olive oil and mix well
- Add in the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time and make into a soft dough. Add more water if needed.
- Place dough in a warm over in a covered and well greased container for about an hour.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and place again in a warm oven for half an hour.
- Knead the dough and make into 8-9 balls.
- Place balls on a well floured baking sheet an inch apart from each other.
- Brush beaten egg on top of the buns and stick some poppy and flax seeds.
- Place baking sheet in warm oven for half an hour or until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Cool on rack!
- Slice in the middle and enjoy as fresh buttered dinner rolls, or as a grilled veggie sandwich with chipotle mayo, or with blackened chicken breast, lettuce, pineapple and mango mayonnaise.!!