Some more buns. I love spinach and feta combo in quiches, omelettes etc. And I like the idea of rolle dup buns with filling which i can make in small quantities. These buns might not taste fresh after 3-4 days in the refrigerator, but they never have to.. coz they get gobbled up pretty quickly at breakfast or evening snack time! So here are Spinach and feta rolled up buns!
- 2-3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun spice
- 1 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped(frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup mustard greens choppped( can be replaced by spinach)
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add chopped onions, pepper and garlic to it.
- Cook till onion is soft.
- Add in the greens and the salt and spices and mix well.
- Cook the veggies on medium heat for 5-10 minutes and keep ready.
- Warm 1/4 cup water and add yeast to it. Mix well and let rest for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in the sugar, softened butter and room temperature milk to it and mix well.
- Add in 1 cup flour, salt, spices and garlic flakes and mix well.
- Add in the flour 1 cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Use more water if needed.
- Place dough in a well oiled and covered container in a warm place for an hour.
- Knead dough again on a well floured surface and form a half inch thick rectangle. Use a rolling pin if needed.
- Sprinkle the cooled spinach filling and distribute it all over. Sprinkle feta cheese on the filling.
- Roll up the bread like a tight jelly roll and cut an inch thick slices.
- Compact the slices a little using your hand is the filling seems loose or feels like it might fall out.
- Place slices on a greased baking sheet. Cover them with a big foil baking container or plastic wrap.
- Place in warm oven for half an hour.
- Remove the wrap/cover. Sprinkle some parmesan(optional) over the tops and mist the oven with water spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on rack and enjoy with balsmic garlic olive oil or herbed cream cheese!!
- These buns work really well as breakfast, warmed and buttered with Masala Tea!
This one is headed to Susan's YeastSpotting !
And also headed to Sunday Snacks Cheese at Mirchmasala