This one is inspired from Manju’s Cheesy herbed buns recipe which also featured on Yeastspotting.. I added a cajun taste to them instead of italian and put in more veggies… The buns ended up being quite filling and tasty!
- 3-4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun spice
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 springs onions chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar and jack shredded
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add the chopped veggies and garlic to it.
- Add in the salt and spices and mix well.
- Cook the veggies on medium heat for 5-10 minutes and keep ready.
- Warm 1/4 cup water and add yeast to it. Mix well and let rest for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in the sugar, softened butter and room temperature milk to it and mix well.
- Add in 1 cup flour, salt, spices and garlic flakes and mix well.
- Add in the flour 1 cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Use more water if needed.
- Place dough in a well oiled and covered container in a warm place for an hour.
- Knead dough again on a well floured surface and form a half inch thick rectangle. Use a rolling pin if needed.
- Sprinkle the cooled vegetable filling and distribute it all over. Sprinkle cheese on the veggie filling. You can use all of the cheese or reserve half for sprinkling on the tops later.
- Roll up the bread like a jelly roll and cut an inch thick slices.
- Place slices on a greased baking sheet> cover them with the big foil baking container or plastic wrap.
- Place in warm oven for half an hour.
- Remove the wrap/cover. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops and mist the oven with water spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on rack and enjoy!