I remember when I was anemic, my mom fed me beets everyday and made me drink a glass of Beet juice every morning. Though, now I know that Beets have iron content but are not a very good source of iron. They are in general very good for your health. I think after a bunch of months of over Beets, I took a break and went almost off them for the past 2-3 years. Now, I am trying to get them back into my diet and have tried them in salads and some Indian curries.
And now here is a Bread! Beets are a good source of a lot of vitamins and nutrients. They are good for your heart, eyes, liver , brain and help prevent cancer! What more would you want to know to motivate you to add some beets to your diet! This one is headed to Susan's Yeastspotting !
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup beets grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil to add in bread
- 2 teaspoons oil for greasing
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Warm the water to about 110 degrees F(warm to touch) and add sugar and yeast to it.
- Mix well and let sit until frothy.
- Add bread flour, salt, olive oil and cinnamon to it and mix well.
- Add in the grated beets.
- Add in the wheat flour one cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Knead for at least 4 minutes.
- Place dough in a well oiled container, covered in a warm oven for about an hour or until doubled.
- Punch the risen dough down and knead again on a well floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Shape dough into desired loaf and place in a well oiled bread pan or baking sheet.
- Cover dough with plastic sheet or wet towel and let rise in a warm place for half hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tapping the top of the bread sounds hollow.
- Cool on rack before slicing! I usually end up slicing the bread the next day to get nicer firmer slices.
I over baked this bread.. i think 40 minutes and the crust got a bit hard, but the bread inside is extremely light and fluffy and beautiful because of the beets! I had completely forgotten about the bread in the oven coz my dog chewie was at the vets for his dental cleaning and they wanted to extract 2 of his teeth. So i was on the phone trying to understand why, and then researching online. He is home now and hopefully not in pain. He is getting spoiled with the most attention and care and eating some nice boiled chicken everyday!