I made this last week and half of the loaf is sitting in the freezer because we were giving more attention to some tastier buns!
This bread is very moist because of the carrot and a bit spicy because of the ginger and goes well with Chai Tea!
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water
- 1 cup carrot pureed
- 2 inch ginger grated or pureed along with the carrots
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Warm the water and add yeast and sugar to it. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add the bread flour to the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add the salt, and the carrot ginger puree and mix well.
- Add in the whole wheat flour,1 cup at a time and knead into a soft dough. Add more water if needed. The carrot will loose moisture during rising, so keep a douhg a bit dry.
- Place dough in a warm place, covered, for about an hour or until doubled.
- Add some raisins to the dough and Knead for 5 minutes.
- Shape dough into a loaf and place in a well greased bread pan.
- Place bread pan in warm oven, with a pan of boiling water for half an hour. Cover the bread pan with wet towel.
- Remove water and towel and bake bread at 350 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes. Spray some water on the bread 1-2 times in the first 10 minutes. This bread takes a bit longer because of the extra water content in the carrots.
- Cool on rack before slicing!