I was planning to bake a Spinach and Corn Quiche yesterday, but I did not have the pie crust, and was not in a the mood to make one:). So I thought of trying a savory bread with all the quiche ingredients and see how it turns out. I usually end up making a lot of sweet or slightly sweet breads. But I prefer salty things for an evening snack. So here's an amazingly tasty snack break. It has a good amount of butter which I will reduce in the next try! I cant help it, I am a health nut! I cant digest much of anything with too much butter or fat!
The bread turned out to be awesome and it can be sliced and carried around as a snack for any time of day.. hmm maybe I will take it to the beach picnic next time!
- 2.5-3 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste for bread
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for spinach mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup cheddar and jack cheese shredded
- In a large pan, heat 1 teaspoon butter.
- Add in chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat or until soft
- Add in spinach, corn, salt, chili flakes and garlic flakes and cook for 7-8 minutes. Keep this mixture aside to cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, add warm water, sugar and yeast and mix well.
- Let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in beaten egg, 1 cup bread flour, softened butter(3 teaspoons), salt and black pepper and mix well. I used my electric mixer at low to mix everything.
- Add in the milk and rest of the flour and mix well to make a dropping consistency(thick) batter.
- Add in the cooked spinach mixture and cheese and mix them until well incorporated in the bread batter.
- Pour the bread batter in a well greased bread pan.
- Place bread pan in a warm place covered lightly for about 45 minutes.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until the bread looks golden brown and sounds hollow and is not too squishy when a toothpick is inserted.
- Cool on rack for an hour or so before slicing.
- Enjoy as a snack or breakfast !!