I found a yeasty vanilla loaf recipe on Yeastspotting last week and that inspired me to try my own yeasty cake. So here is a yeasty cake with a lot of Pumpkin spice and some candied fruits to add some more zing!
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons quick rise yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons oil for greasing
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup candied fruits ( fresh fruits or berries can also be used)
- Warm the milk and add yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to it. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in the sugar, egg, soft butter, pumpkin spice, honey, and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Using an electric blender blend well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix well to make a thick flowing batter. If the batter is too thick or doughy, add in a little milk.
- Add in the candied fruits and give them a whirl with a spoon. I used candied mango, papaya and pineapple mix. You can add some blueberries or chopped mango as well.
- Place batter in a covered container in a warm place for an hour.
- Mix the batter with spoon again and release excess air and transfer to a well oiled loaf pan or cake pan.
- Let the batter rise again for half an hour in a warm place.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown. Mist the oven twice in the first 10 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan.
- Cool the bread/cake on rack before slicing
- Enjoy as breakfast or a quick snack with some fruit syrups or compote!