I wanted to try out yeast in muffins and also reduce the butter sugar content. So i came up with this recipe. It is pretty much a sweet bread shaped into muffins:). It has a nice dense and moist texture with a heavenly cinnamon smell when warm. Of course, Vivek is not too much of a fan because he wants the butter in his muffin!. I like it because it is not as sweet, and not at all greasy on the hands :)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 apple pureed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Warm the milk and add yeast to it. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add nutmeg, sugar, salt, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Puree the apple using a little water if needed. Add the puree to the yeast mixture.
- Add in the flours and knead into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into small balls.
- Oil the muffin pan and place the balls in it.
- Place the muffin pan in a warm oven for about an hour. Also place a pan of boiling water in the oven.
- Remove the pan of water.
- Mix 2 teaspoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon,
- Sprinkle the balls with the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
- Cool on rack and remove the muffins from the pan!
- Enjoy warm with tea or as buttered snack.