Whats better than a warm spiced up Ginger Cake on a cold cloudy afternoon!!!
- 1.5 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup bran
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar or regular sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped candied(crystallized) ginger
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- In a large bowl mix all the flours, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except grated and candied ginger and blend them well.
- Add in the fresh and candied ginger and give a quick mix.
- Pour batter in well greased pan
- Bake at 360 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean!
- Enjoy a slice anytime of the day!!
Tips: To cut candied ginger, cover the slices in flour and apply oil on the knife to reduce the stickiness while chopping.
Also, I usually like my baked goods less sweet. For regular sweetness add 1 cup sugar!
Vegan Version: Replace egg by any egg replacer or a teaspoon of flax meal mixed in 3 teaspoons water. Adjust water to get thick batter, not too runny. Bake and gobble with some tea or coffee!