I had some low-fat ricotta sitting in the refrigerator waiting to go bad.. So I decided to add some in a bread. Ricotta doesn't add any taste to the bread just makes it a little denser. I added some herbed Olive oil and some carom seeds(Ajwain) to give the bread a different tongue tickle!
- 3.5 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon carom (ajwain) seeds
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup herbed olive oil or plain olive oil
- 1 packet quick rise yeast (1.25 teaspoons)
- Warm the water and add the yeast and sugar to it and mix well. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Grease the mixer bowl and add the dry ingredients. Give them a good mix.
- Add the cheese, egg, butter and oil and the yeast mixture and knead for about 8 minutes in batches or 2-3 minutes. Or knead by hand for the same amount of time till a nice soft non sticky dough is formed. Add more flour or water if needed.
- Place dough in well oiled container. Spray cooking oil on its top and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise for an hour in a warm place.
- Punch the dough down and knead for a few seconds.
- Make a loaf out of it by pulling on all sides and tucking it under.
- Place tucked side down in bread pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 365 degree F for 40 minutes or until nicely brown on the top.
- Cool completely before slicing. I usually slice it after keeping it in the refrigerator for a few hours for nice and clean slices.