A lemony twist to the regular Strawberry Bread and some flax seed for your daily dose of omega- 3 fatty acid!
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg(naturally nested and organic from local arlington farm, you can also try wilcox cage free eggs which one of the certified humane brands)
- 1 cup strawberry puree( 6-8 strawberries)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons quick rise yeast and .5 teaspoon active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons flax seed crushed
- Warm 1/4 cup water and add 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast to it . Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Grease the mixer bowl and add in the flours, salt, sugar, crushed flaxseed. Mix well.
- Puree strawberries with little water and add to flour.
- Add in the oil , 1/2 cup water and yeast mixture and knead for 10-12 minutes( batches of 3-4 minutes and then scrape the bowl and wait for the mixer to cool a little if too warm)
- Add more water if needed. The strawberries will make the dough moist over time, so keep the dough a bit on the dry side.
- Dough should be soft and pliable and non sticky.
- Place dough in well oiled container, covered with plastic wrap in a warm place for 1.5 hours
- Punch dough down and knead for a minute. Shape into loaf by pulling on all side and tucking under.
- Place loaf in well oiled bread pan and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise for half an hour. Bake loaf at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow to touch.