I've been on a Mint roll lately, Made some Mint Pesto, Mint Chutney and now Mint Bread! I got a bunch of fresh Mint from Mona and have been putting it in pretty much everything, salads, fruit chaat, Lentil curries and so on.
This bread is a nice dense bread with some cracked wheat and almonds and a ton of Mint!.
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3-4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat boiled
- 1/2 cup almonds soaked in warm water for an hour or more
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves ( 30-40)
- 1/2 inch ginger( optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- Soak the cracked wheat in water for an hour and then Boil the cracked wheat till it softens (3-4 minutes).
- Let the mixture cool a bit then add Yeast and sugar to it.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a blender, add the mint leaves, soaked almonds and ginger and blend coarsely. Add some water if needed.
- In a greased mixing bowl, add the flours and salt and mix well.
- Add the oil, yeast mixture and mint mixture and 1/2 cup of water and knead for 8-10 minutes. ( if using stand mixer, 3-4 minute batches with intermittent scraping)
- Add more water if needed.
- Place dough in a well greased container, covered in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Lightly punch the dough and using a little flour knead and shape into a loaf by pulling on all sides and tucking under.
- Place loaf in well oiled bread pan and cover with damp towel. Let rise for an hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing!
This one headed to Susan's Yeastspotting !!