Potatoes cooked with spices and or ginger/garlic are another one of the main dishes in most indian households. The spices used, the way of cooking might be slightly different from north to south Indian houses, but potatoes are here to stay!
Serve this hot with curries or Daal soups, rotis or rice!
- 3 medium potatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust quantity for the heat you want in the dish)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- pinch of asofetida(hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds( methi dana)
- 2 Tablespoons crushed dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt to tate (1/2 teaspoon or so)
- Heat oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they start to splutter.
- add in the asofetida, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds and mix well for a few seconds.
- Add in the red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic and mix well. Cook for a few minutes until garlic starts to turn golden
- Add in the turmeric powder and potatoes and mix well.
- Add in the dried fenugreek and chopped cilantro and salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until potatoes are soft and well cooked from the inside (15 -20 minutes)
- Serve hot with curries, rotis, rice!
Variation 2: Use slit green chili instead of red pepper flakes.
Variation 3: Use butter instead of oil
Variation 4: Replace fennel seeds with whole coriander seeds!
Variation 5: Add a teaspoon of vinegar at the end just before switching off the heat.