I was craving a funky pizza and made this dough the other day, with spinach and fenugreek(methi) and used half of it for the base and half of it for a loaf!
For the pizza, I rolled out the dough after the first rise into a rectangle, topped it with mashed left-over Chole as the sauce, then some tomato slices, onions, roasted rell pepper, cilantro, grated ginger and mixed mexican cheese!. Baked it at 380 degrees F for about 20 minutes!
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- about a cup of warm water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup spinach fresh or frozen thawed
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (soaked for 2 hours or sprouted 1 day)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil with garlic
- Add the yeast and sugar to half cup warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a blender, blend spinach and fenugreek seeds with some water into a coarse paste.
- In the mixer bowl add the flours, salt and mix well.
- Add in the yeast mixture, eggs, olive oil, spinach mixture.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, scraping sides every 2-3 minutes. add more flour or water in little quantities if needed.
- Place dough in a covered container in a warm place for 1.5 hours. Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray.
- Punch it lightly and shape into a loaf by pulling on all sides, or by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the edges under. I used half the dough for pizza.
- Place loaf in greased bread pan. Spritz the top with a little oil spray and cover with damp towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for about an hour.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water and bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. (the loaf is about 2/3 the size of the usual loafs, hence the reduced baking time)
- Remove bread from pan and let cool for atleast an hour.
- I usually refrigerate it for another hour before slicing. The breads are usually quite fluffy and soft and refrigetation makes them a bit firm for nice and clean slices!
- Enjoy! This one goes extremely well with eggs in any form. It adds a nice touch of spinachy/fenugreeky taste to the blandness of the eggs! We had it today toasted with scrambled eggs and veggies and some nice hot tea. Awesome breakfast! Headed to Susan's Yeastspotting! and Champa's Weekly Bake off !
Loaf slice ..