I got mini loaf pans and made 2 mini loafs of the bread. A bread from the regular 9 by 5 bread pan lasts more than a week, and its not fun to wait for it to finish, so I can make a new one.
Also, I am trying to make some high protein loafs, and I am experimenting with soy flour and other high protein flours. So better try a smaller loaf first. And they are cuter too!
The mini thin slices can be crisped up by double toasting on medium into nice sturdy slices for canapés or crostinis , or just plain rusks!
3 gm protein per slice. each slice is about a third of the usual large loaf slice. So its 9 gms protein if you eat 3 of these small slices to make up the regular 1 slice intake!
- 1.5 -2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons soy flour
- 4 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- oil for greasing
- Warm 1/4 cup water and add yeast and sugar to it. mix well and let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix in the dry ingredients well( flours, salt, cocoa powder).
- Add in the yeast mixture, softened butter and cottage cheese and knead into a soft dough. Add more water or flour if needed. The cottage cheese has water content, so more water may not be needed. Knead for atleast 5 minutes.
- Place dough in well oiled container( atleast twice the size of dough). Spritz some oil on top and cover with heave towel.
- Let dough rise for 1.5 hours. Remove dough from pan and knead with a little flour to make it less sticky. Shape into 2 mini loaves for 5 by 2 pans, or a boule or a long baguette.
- Place loaves in loaf pans. Spritz top with water.
- Then spritz with oil and cover with heavy towel.
- Let rise for 35 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 360 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out of bread pans and let cool for an hour before slicing!
- Enjoy toasted with butter or use for snack sliders! This one is headed to Susan's YeastSpotting
Recipe Analysis from Fitwatch.com
Amount per serving ( 20 slices in 2 loaves. This is per slice)
Water 8.62 g
Carbohydrate* (70%) 10.62 g
Protein (20%) 3.06 g
Total Fat (10%) 0.72 g
Monounsaturated 0.15 g
Polyunsaturated 0.14 g
Saturated 0.32 g
Cholesterol 1.44 mg
Dietary Fibre 0.39 g
Vitamin A 15.97 IU
Thiamin 0.11 mg
Riboflavin 0.09 mg
Niacin 1.05 mg
Pantothenic acid 0.09 mg
Vitamin B6 0.02 mg
Folate 28.44 mcg
Vitamin B12 0.06 mcg
Calcium 9.17 mg
Iron 0.64 mg
Magnesium 5.26 mg
Phosphorus 29.48 mg
Potassium 36.62 mg
Sodium 34.88 mg
See the complete analysis here