Cabbage is another one of the frequently used vegetable, for Indian main course dishes in our house. Right after cauliflower and potato. This dish is one of the quick stir fry versions with some garlic, mustard seeds and yellow mung lentils.
- 2 cups cabbage finely chopped/sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili pepper (more or less by taste)
- salt to taste (1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- pinch of asofetida(hing)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mung lentils/daal(skinless split mung beans)
- In a large pan, add oil and heat on medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add in mustard seeds when the oil is hot.
- Add in asofetida. Break the red chili pepper and add to the oil and mix well.
- Add in the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add in the turmeric and the daal/beans and mix for a minute.
- Add in th cabbage and salt and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes stirring occassionally.
- Serve hot with Roti ,Naan or rice, with pickles or daal/lentil curry!