Oh Yeah Part Deux..!:) After the yummy mango chutney in the earlier post.. It is time for a moist, crumbly chocolate cake! No butter, no eggs.. Organic fair trade cocoa powder.. and an apple!
I have to make a molten chocolate cake too! ..look out for that one soon!. This one is simple with some apple to add moisture. You can add some strawberries or some zucchini instead too!
Makes 1 mini loaf 5x2 inches
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 medium ripe apple
- 4 Tablespoons high fat oil (I used 2 Tbsp organic canola oil and 2 Tbsp Coconut oil)
- 5-6 Tablespoons raw sugar or equivalent jaggery or other sweetener.
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder (I have organic fair trade unsweetened non alkaline, reduce cocoa powder if you like less dark cake )
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-8 Tablespoons warm water or non dairy milk
- chocolate chips(optional, I dint use any, you can add some to the batter for melted chips in the cake!)
- In a blender, add chopped apple, flax meal, vinegar, sugar, vanilla extract, oil and 6 Tablespoons warm water.
- Blend into a smooth puree and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Add in the apple puree and mix till just about combined. If the mixture doesnt become moist and pasty , add more water. The water content need depends on the water content of the apple. The batter does not need to be smooth and runny.
- Grease a mini loaf and pour the batter in it.
- Top with some oats and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the Middle comes out clean.
- Or top it off with some chocolate cream.. Blend some avocado, a couple of teaspoons of cocoa powder and maple syrup to get a cream. Adjust sweetness and layer it on the cake!
- I am craving some caramel frosting actually.!:) Have an awesome day!