Its the time for a Blog hop and This month’s theme is Cookies!
There are sooo many cookies to choose from! I finally decided on making nutty, crunchy Pistachio thumbprint cookies!
Its also the month of festivities, cakes and cookies! I baked a Christmas Stollen wreath today and have to bake up a decadent Kahlua fruit cake over the weekend!:) What are you all baking up this month?!
These cookies are almost a protein bar(3.5 gm per cookies) with so many nuts and all unrefined whole ingredients! I topped them with cranberry pear simple chutney. You can use any cranberry jam or eat them as is!
Some other fun holiday treats from the archives..
and lots of Cookies here.
- 1/2 cup raw pistachioes
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 3 Tablespoons walnuts
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 Tablespoons agave
- 2 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil or organic canola oil or Earth balance butter
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder or spice of choice
- jam or chutney for filling( I used cranberry pear chutney)
- In a bowl, add hot water, flax meal and coconut oil. Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add in the vinegar, sugar, salt, agave and spices and mix for 2 minutes till well combined.
- Grind the pistachios, almonds, walnuts separately using pulse so they dont become too buttery.
- Add in the ground nuts, and sift whole wheat flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients and mix well.
- The mixture will be a slightly stiff but still sticky dough. Add more flour if the mixture is more like a batter.
- Oil hands or spoon and shape into balls. Place on parchment and make a deep dent in the center.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F for 14-16 minutes depending on cookie size and thickness.
- Cool on rack. The cookies might be soft when right out of the oven but will solidify to a biscuity texture. Fill thumbprint with jam or any other filling of choice!
- Cranberry Pear Chutney: Cook 3/4 cup cranberries and half a pear pureed with 1 Tbsp jaggery/raw sugar, ginger powder, cinnamon, pinch of salt till all cranberries pop and chutney thickens.
Amount per serving 1 cookie
Calories: 130.6 kcal
Carbohydrate (42%) 14.07 g
Protein 3.5 g
Total Fat (49%) 7.61 g
Monounsaturated 2.54 g
Polyunsaturated 2.12 g
Saturated 2.51 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Dietary Fibre 2.25 g
Vitamin A 29.79 IU
Niacin 0.85 mg
Vitamin B6 0.13 mg
Folate 9.84 mcg
Vitamin E 1.03 mg ATE
Calcium 18.69 mg
Iron 0.8 mg
Magnesium 31.79 mg
Phosphorus 81.47 mg
Potassium 124.77 mg
Sodium 0.67 mg