Another quick veggie curry. I had the curry paste leftover after making Tempeh in Cilantro tomato curry. The curry paste once roasted till it leaves the sides of the pan, can be frozen in small containers and used as required. There quite a few things that can be put into a curry paste. Vegetables like peas, cauliflower, potatos bell peppers , cooked whole beans like garbanzo beans, red kidney beans, black eyes peas, other fun things like cashews, tofu, seitan or tempeh!
Just grab a little curry, add some water and fresh spices and veggies or other things of your choice, cook for a few and serve hot with Indian breads(Roti, Naan) , pickles and onion tomato lemon salt pepper salad !
- 2 cups cilantro leaves and small stems
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove(laung)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek(methi) leaves (optional, I love the slight bitterneess from the fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- In a blender, blend tomatoes, serrano pepper, cilantro, garlic and ginger with a little water and keep aside.
- In a large pan, add a teaspoon oil and chopped onion, bay leaf and clove and cook at medium heat until onions are golden brown.
- Add in the cilantro tomato puree.
- Keep cooking on medium low heat, partially covered for 20-30 minutes till the puree thickens and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add in dried fenugreek leaves, salt, sugar and chili flakes and mix well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until its a thick paste. Taste and adjust for salt and spice.Store or use as needed.
Additions to Curry:
- If using frozen curry, thaw for half an hour, then add to a heated pan with a little oil.. Skip this step if using fresh curry.
- In the pan with the simmering curry, add some peas, green or red bell pepper chopped and some chopped cashews., some salt to taste and water. Cook for 7-10 minutes until peas are done. Serve hot with roti/Chapati!, pickles and sliced onions and tomatoes topped with salt pepper and salad!