Everything Pumpkin season right. Add some mashed pumpkin to flatbreads!
These flatbreads are easy and use pumpkin puree as wet for the dough. Add rosemary or other herbs, roll into flatbreads, cook and serve. Use as tortillas, wraps, Rotis, or as a side. Use other spices or herbs or make without. If you roll them out evenly, then you can cook them over a direct flame to puff them like a pita bread. See step pictures here to puff the flatbreads over stove.
These pumpkin tortillas /flatbreads are yeast-free. Use other veggie or squash puree like well mashed sweet potato, butternut puree etc. These flatbread are soft and go well with soups as well. Cut into bite size, warm, apply some olive oil and serve with soups and dips. I made a wrap with some leftover Carrot Green Bean Coconut stir fry and Chickpeas in South Indian coconut curry leaf sauce (pictured below). Fill up with black beans and roasted sweet potatoes with salsa or vegan sour cream for lunch on the go. Add a pinch of sugar to the pumpkin puree to enhance flavor. Make without herbs to use for PBJ wraps.
More flatbreads from the blog to use as Rotis, Tortillas or side.
- Spinach flatbread – Palak Paratha or Spinach Tortillas. Yeast-free
- Easy Yeast-free Wheat Flat bread
- Pita Bread
- High Protein Savory Herbed flatbread – Methi Thelpa. Yeast-free. Can be made gluten-free
Some reading viewing for the week.
200 animals rescued from backyard butcher. These animals were living in unfathomable conditions. They are terrified, most are emaciated, and many are very sick. But they will never again experience this cruelty now.
Seaaquariums are just another form of circus for the animals. Dolphins are made to perform when sick and injured. Dolphins are seen repeatedly banging their heads at the bottom of the tanks. To know more about whales and dolphins in captivity, read about and watch Blackfish here
Make the dough. Let it rest for 15 minutes. Then divide into balls.
Roll out each ball using flour into even thickness flatbreads
Cook over a hot skillet until golden brown spots on each side.
Store in a kitchen towel over the counter for the day. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container to refrigerate for upto 4 days. Warm over the skillet or microwave and serve.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached white flour or all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp dried or 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 to 3 Tbsp water
- In a bowl, whisk the flours, salt, baking powder and herbs.
- Add pumpkin [puree and oil and mix in.
- Add water 1 tbsp at a time to make a smooth soft lightly sticky dough. Cover the dough and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Oil hands and knead for a minute. Add a tablespoon of flour if needed if the dough is too sticky. Divide dough into equal parts and shape into balls. Keep the balls covered with a kitchen towel.
- Flatten a ball and dust with flour. Roll the ball into a flat circle.
- Heat a thick bottom skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot, place the rolled out flatbread in the skillet. Cook the flatbread for 45 seconds to a minute per side.Flip and cook the other side.
- Flip and cook both sides 15 to 20 seconds more until golden brown spots on both sides. You can apply some oil during cooking. Do not overcook the flatbreads. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the flatbread, so adjust accordingly.
- Brush oil or vegan butter (optional). Store in paper towel lined container or kitchen towel for the day. Cool completely to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 4 days. Warm on the skillet or microwave before serving.