This easy salad is a perfect fall or holiday salad. Thyme roasted butternut squash, thinly sliced apples, dried cranberries, harissa roasted pecans and baby greens of choice.
The squash is roasted with thyme, salt and pepper. Pecans get toasted with harissa spice blend. Use other spice blends of choice. Crisp thinly sliced apples, dried cranberries and a dash of salt and pepper is all that is needed for this easy salad.
More Salads from the blog
- Roasted Beet, Satsuma Kale Salad with Almond Sesame Dressing
- Firecracker Chickpea Salad with Thai peanut dressing
- Mung Bean Sprout, Seared Carrot Salad with chili lime dressing
- Southwestern Pasta Black Bean Salad.
I served this Salad with my Chickpea Veggie Loaf.
- ½ large butternut squash, cubed or use 1.5 cups frozen
- ½ tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh, chopped
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- oil as needed
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ to ⅓ cup pecans
- 1.5 tsp or more dry harissa spice blend (or use ½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp coriander, ¼ tsp garlic and a dash of cayenne and salt)
- 3 cups of mixed baby greens
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 Tbsp dried cranberries
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice, olive oil or balsamic vinegar as dressing
- Toss the butternut cubes in oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F until tender. (25 to 35 minutes depending on the size of the cubes). Or cook in a skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of water, cover and cook until tender. Stir after 10 minutes.
- Toast the pecans in a skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted. 4 to 5 minutes. Add oil and harrisa spice blend. Toss to coat. Cook until the pecans are toasted to preference.
- In a bowl, toss or layer the greens, cranberries, apples, roasted butternut and spicy pecans. Dress with salt and generous dash of pepper. Add a drizzle of lemon juice or balsamic just before serving.