Mushroom Mutter Masala, or, mushroom and peas in a creamy curry, is an easy and tasty meal.
The key to a creamy mughlai curry is some blended nuts like cashews and almonds and a good amount of cinnamon! The cinnamony spicy creamy curry doesnt need no actual cream, butter or milk!
Mushroom Mutter Masala
- 2 cups (192 g) sliced mushrooms
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 (0.33 ) chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup (72.5 g) peas
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp each coriander powder cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) each cardamom powder cinnamon powder/stick( or 1/2 inch)
- 1 pinch hing asafoetida
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 serano pepper
- 1/2 cup (71.5 g) total almonds and cashews soaked for an hour.
- salt to taste
- chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp butter vegan
- Puree the tomatoes with ginger, garlic, almonds, cashews, pepper and 1/2 of the chopped onion.
- In a large pan, heat oil and add all the spices( hing, coriander powder, cumin powder, bay leaf, turmeric, cardamom and cinnamon)
- Let the spices simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add left over chopped onions and stir on medium heat till golden brown.
- Add the puree and let it simmer on low-medium for 10-15 minutes till most water evaporates and the resulting thick curry leaves some oil.
- In a separate pan, saute the mushrooms in butter over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and peas to the simmering curry. Add salt and some water( half a cup) so that the curry can cover all the mushrooms and peas.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Top with cilantro leaves when done.
- Serve hot with Naan, Roti or Rice!