I had this craving for Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Crepes) the other day. I used to have these in the international district when i was working there. Though very few Vietnamese restaurants actually serve these crepes. So i looked up the recipes here http://www.noodlepie.com/blog/banh_xeo/index.html and http://www.recipezaar.com/Banh-Xeo-Vietnamese-Crepes-38348 and came up with my own version. Most versions i read online had pork and shrimp in them and they also almost fry the crepe and use a lot of oil. Jump to Recipe
Banh Xeo (Vietnamese crepes) with nuoc cham sauce
- 1 cup (160 g) rice flour
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) self rising flour or more rice flour for gf version
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1/2 cup (113 ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 spring onion chopped finely
- Oil for shallow frying
- 2 cups (192 g) mushrooms chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili powder
- 1 cup (70 g) cabbage chopped finely
- 1 cup (128 g) carrots grated
- 1/2 cup (50 g) spring onion chopped
- 1/2 cup (66.5 g) cucumber chopped
- 3-4 teaspoons (3 teaspoons) nuoc cham sauce
- Red leaf lettuce or leafy lettuce or mustard greens
- 2 cups (208 g) bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup (22.5 g) fresh mint
- 1/2 cup (12 g) fresh basil thai or regular
- 1 cup (16 g) cilantro leaves chopped
Nuoc Cham Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste or a chopped thai red chili
- 2 Tablespoons vegan fish sauce i dint have this, so used 1 teaspoon soy
- 1-2 Tablespoons (1 Tablespoons) lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 1 clove garlic minced
- The Nuoc Cham dipping sauce can be made 1 day before. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl till all sugar dissolves and everything is combined well. Adjust sugar and spice levels according to taste.
- Cook the mushrooms and onions in 2 teaspoons oil in a pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the salt and chilli powder to taste.
- In large bowl, add in all the veggies and the Nuoc Cham sauce and mix well.
- Let the mixture sit for half an hour before use.
- Prepare batter in a bowl by mixing in all the ingredients except oil.
- Mix well till smooth.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil on a non-stick pan and pour 1/4 cup batter on it and spread it by swirling or any other way you like.
- Let it cook for a minute.
- Top one side of the crepe with the filling(mushrooms or veggie or both) and top off the filling with bean sprouts and the fresh herbs(mint, basil and cilantro).
- Once the crepe starts getting crisp and brown, fold it half over the filling and press down gently.
- Lift up the complete crepe and serve with lettuce leaves and the dipping sauce.
- The crepe is normally eaten by cutting a portion of the crepe and wrapping it in lettuce and the herbs and dipping in the sauce. Since i altered the recipe a bit, the herbs are already in the crepe, so the only wrap needed is the lettuce leaves!
- Enjoy any time of the day!