This fennel and nigella seeds savory flat bread is great for sandwiches filled with salad, veggies and vegan cheeses. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
I wanted to try make a loaf with Tangzhong starter/Water Roux starter. I made the dough and since it seemed to be a bit too moist, I decided to spread it out as a flat bread instead and topped it with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper like a focaccia! Note to self: Less water, some more flour next time.
Fennel and Nigella Seeds Savory Flat Bread
- 1/3 cup (84 g) Tangzhong starter (I used 1/4 cup bread flour and 2/3 cup water and whisked it over medium heat till it was combined and started thickening, covered it in plastic wrap, refrigerated it and used it the next day)
- 1.5 cups (187 g) bread flour
- 1/3 cup (27 g) oats
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper
- olive oil for topping
- sea salt for topping
- coarse black pepper for topping
- Bring the starter to room temperature. You can eliminate the starter and use more water and flour if needed.
- Warm the 2 tablespoons water and add sugar and yeast to it. Mix well and let rest for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Blend/grind oats and flaxseeds into a coarse meal or use oatmeal and flaxmeal.
- Add in the starter, flour, salt, oats and flax mixture, oil, fennel and nigella seeds, coriander powder, some black pepper and knead into a soft dough. You can add 1 teaspoon vegan butter or 1 flax egg to add to the texture of the bread.
- Place dough in well oiled container with space to double and spritz top with water. Cover with heavy towel and let rise for 2 hours
- Take dough out and using some flour shape into a flat bread but pulling or rolling. My dough was quite sticky, so I used a good amount of flour and pulled it into a rectangle of 1/4 inch.
- Place flattened dough on a well greased baking sheet/tray. Make some dimples on the top. Spritz top with water. Sprinkle coarse seal salt and black pepper. Spritz top with olive oil and cover with heavy towel. Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 390 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Cool well before slicing!
- Total time does not include 2 hours 45 minutes proving time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving