Almond butter cookies! Yes, they are “almond butter” cookies with a hint of cardamom(elaichi). So delicious and crumbly these cookies are so easy to whip up. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Almond butter cookies!! Yes they are “almond butter” cookies with a hint of cardamom(elaichi). These yummy and crumbly cookies came out awesome and remind me of the Diwali Sweets like kaju or Badaam Katli(Cashew, almond cheesy sweet). Diwali is a festival in India, during which people visit each other and exchange sweets, snacks, dry fruits, home made goodies and such. Unfortunately most Indian sweets are milk based(khoya(milk solids), ghee(clarified butter), chenna, paneer, fried in ghee, topped with ghee and cream, and more ghee).
Almond Butter Cookies (Vegan)
- 3 tablespoons Raw turbinado sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- 1.5 tablespoon water
- 1.5 tablespoon roasted almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (earth balance)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cardamom powder (less if u don't like cardamom much :, more if u love it)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 cup (30 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon oatmeal (coarsely ground oats for a little crunch, optional)
- 2/3 cup (114.58 g) self rising flour Or all purpose flour + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a pan, mix the flax meal and hot water and let sit for a minute.
- Add in the softened butters(kept out for half an hour), sugar and agave syrup and mix well by hand or by hand mixer until the mixture feels light.
- Add in the flours, salt, cardamom powder and lemon juice and mix till just about combined.
- The mixture should be a sticky dough with no dry flour patches.
- Oil hands and pick up tablespoon full dough, lightly roll into a ball and flatten on parchment paper using a fork. You can drop spoonfulls directly as well, to get random shaped cookies :), but dont let them get thicker than a 1/4 inch.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 9-10 minutes. the cookies should not be runny or liquidy. They might look wet, but check with toothpick to confirm they are not squishy.
- Take cookies off baking tray and cool on rack for a few minutes before burning your mouth!
- Store in airtight container for a week or so. Let me know how yours turn out!