Beet and blueberry mini loaf. A delicious, brightly colored mini loaf that’s great for breakfast or snacking on. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Yes, I am still in mini loaf mode.. those tiny slices get consumed quickly and let me make different breads every few days..! This one is beety carmine colored with an added slight deep blue from the blueberries.. Deep colors for this bright summer!
Beet and blueberry mini loaf. A delicious, brightly colored mini loaf that's great for breakfast or snacking on. Vegan Recipe.
- 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar or equivalent agave/maple syrup
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium beet , peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh ripe blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon Organic canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a blender, puree the beet and blueberries with the remaining sugar and flax meal and some warm water if needed.
- In a bowl add the flours, pumpkin pie spice, wheat gluten and salt and mix.
- Add in the yeast mixture, oil and beet blueberry puree.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, scraping sides every 2-3 minutes if using a stand mixer. add more flour or water in little quantities if needed. As with any fresh fruit/vegetable bread, the fruit gives out a little extra moisture than a normal bread while the dough sits for the rising time. The dough should be soft and not too sticky.
- Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray. Place dough in a covered container in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
- Punch it lightly. For mini loaf pans, divide dough into 2 parts. Knead and shape into a loaf by pulling on all sides, or by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the other edge under.
- Place loaf in greased mini bread pans. Spritz the top with water and then spritz a little oil spray and cover with damp towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water and bake at 365 degrees F for 25 minutes. (30 minutes if baking one loaf)
- Remove bread from pan and let cool for an hour.
- Slice and enjoy as is, topped with the creamy herbed berry topping( vegan cream cheese mixed with mashed berries and herbs), or marmalade, or nut butters, or topped with a tofu scramble!
- Total time does not include 2.5 hours proving time.
- Nutritional value is per loaf