Revisiting this Cilantro curry with updated recipe! This recipe takes longer than the one I posted earlier here. Both curries taste similar. This one is smoother with a more roasted base.
Our weekend in Seattle was nice and sunny, probably the last sunny weekend of the delayed Summer. Cooked up some Red beans curry(Rajma) and a Red Kidney beans, oats, and Potato spicy burger! and of course some sugar free brownies. Recipes coming soon. Hope you all had an amazing weekend!
Tempeh(fermented soy patty) can be replaced by Tofu, seitan cubes, cauliflower, broccoli, vegetable fritters(kofta), any chunky veggies or meat substitutes. Also, you can replace cilantro with mint(half the quantity, since mint is a stronger tasting herb), and get a mint tomato curry!. Mint(Pudina) curry is sometimes served in some indian restaurants.
Some other fun curries to try..
Ingredients: Serves 2
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add in the tempeh and mix well to coat well. Let sit for half an hour.
- In a blender, blend tomatoes, serrano pepper, cilantro, garlic and ginger with a little water and keep aside.
- In a large pan, add a teaspoon oil and chopped onion, bay leaves and cloves and cook at medium heat until onions are golden brown.
- Remove onions from pan, and add the marinated tempeh pieces to the pan with a little oil.
- Cook the tempeh for 2 minutes until the outside of the pieces start getting golden. Take tempeh out and keep aside.
- Add cilantro tomato puree, turmeric and the cooked onion back into the pan.
- Cook on medium low heat, partially covered for 20-25 minutes till the puree thickens, darkens in color, and starts to leave the edges of the pan.
- Add in a cup of water, salt, dried fenugreek leaves and chili flakes(if needed) and mix well. adjust salt and spice to taste. Add in the tempeh and adjust water, so the curry covers all tempeh cubes. For variations, add browned Tofu, partially cooked medium sized vegetable pieces, or vegetable fritters at this time, instead of the tempeh.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes or until tempeh cubes almost double in size and curry is desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro leaves and lemon slices.Add a tablespoon or 2 cashew cream to make the curry creamy. We like ours without the cream.
- Serve hot with Indian Flat Bread like Roti or Naan or Basmati Rice ! Have an amazing day!
This Meatless Monday Curry is headed to Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms- Melt in your mouth Monday Link up , Just Another Meatless Monday and MLLA 39 at WhatwouldCathyEat , started by Susan