Dhania Tempeh (Tempeh in Cilantro, Tomato Curry). A delicious vegan meal packed full of spices and flavor. Vegan Recipe.
Dhania Tempeh(Tempeh In Cilantro, Tomato Curry) Vegan
- 1 cup (166 g) tempeh cubes (about 4 oz, we use 3 grain or garden veggie organic tempeh)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- salt , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 3 cups (48 g) cilantro leaves and small stems
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 (0.5 ) Serrano chili pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves laung
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek ,methi leaves (optional, I love the slight bitterness from the fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add in the tempeh and mix well to coat well. Let sit for half an hour.
- In a blender, blend tomatoes, serrano pepper, cilantro, garlic and ginger with a little water and keep aside.
- In a large pan, add a teaspoon oil and chopped onion, bay leaves and cloves and cook at medium heat until onions are golden brown.
- Remove onions from pan, and add the marinated tempeh pieces to the pan with a little oil.
- Cook the tempeh for 2 minutes until the outside of the pieces start getting golden. Take tempeh out and keep aside.
- Add cilantro tomato puree, turmeric and the cooked onion back into the pan.
- Cook on medium low heat, partially covered for 20-25 minutes till the puree thickens, darkens in color, and starts to leave the edges of the pan.
- Add in a cup of water, salt, dried fenugreek leaves and chili flakes(if needed) and mix well. adjust salt and spice to taste. Add in the tempeh and adjust water, so the curry covers all tempeh cubes. For variations, add browned Tofu, partially cooked medium sized vegetable pieces, or vegetable fritters at this time, instead of the tempeh.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes or until tempeh cubes almost double in size and curry is desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro leaves and lemon slices.Add a tablespoon or 2 cashew cream to make the curry creamy. We like ours without the cream.
- Serve hot with Indian Flat Bread like Roti or Naan or Basmati Rice