Fluffy White Dinner Rolls (burger buns). An easy recipe for fluffy, soft and light dinner rolls. Great as a side, with burgers or your favorite sandwich filling. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Yay for Poofy white dinner rolls! A must side with every warm meal.. The same dough can be used to make burger buns, naan, pita too. Or shape them into longer french petit pain. I made them a bit bigger to use as burger buns. Yielded 8 large buns. can make 12-16 smaller dinner rolls.
Fluffy White Dinner Rolls (Burger Buns) Vegan.
- 3 cups + cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoon vital wheat gluten (optional, for better gluten formation and some extra protein)
- 3 Tablespoons raw sugar or equivalent jaggery/agave/maple syrup or other sweetners.
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water (roughly)
- 2 Tablespoons Virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons softened vegan butter like earth balance (use soy free spread for a soy free dinner roll)
- 4 Tablespoons Cashew Yogurt or Cashew cream or Soy yogurt or non dairy yogurt (the secret ingredient!)
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt or to taste (more if making a herbed roll)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) baking powder
- add dried herbs like chives basil , parsley, or some poppy seeds, or minced garlic and for variations.
- Add the yeast and sugar to 1/4 cup (60ml) warm water and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a bowl add 2.5 cups (320g) flour, salt, wheat gluten, baking powder and mix.
- Add in the yeast mixture, softened butter, olive oil, yogurt and give it a mix. Add 1/4 cup (60ml) water, at a time to get a soft clump.
- Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes by hand or in mixer, scraping sides every 2 minutes if using a stand mixer. Add more bread flour or water in little quantities if needed and form and soft non sticky ball.
- Spritz the top of dough with some oil spray. Place dough in a greased covered container in a warm place for 2 hours. (rise time depends on the ambient temperature, keep for 1.5 hours if warm 70+ degree F climate)
- Punch the dough lightly. Use a little flour to work the stickyness. Knead and shape by rolling it out into a rectangle and rolling the rectangle from one side and tucking the other edge under like a jelly roll.
- Slice the jelly roll into equal parts, roll into a ball( or pull and tuck under) and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Or shape any other way, like a wedge roll or knots. Keep each ball size half of what size you want your each roll. You can also roll them out into flat breads and cook on a thick bottom super hot pan/girdle.
- Spritz the top with water and then spritz oil spray, and cover with a towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for 45-50 minutes or until Doubled and when pressed, the dough does not bounce back immediately.
- Remove towel, spritz top with some water. Top with sesame or poppy seeds(optional). and bake at preheated 370 degrees F for 18-25 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow and is golden. Time depends on the size and shape of the rolls.
- Remove buns from sheet and let cool on rack for atleast 15 minutes. Brush some melted vegan butter on top for extra sheen while cooling.
- Pull the buns/rolls apart and dunk super soft dinner rolls in a warm fall soup or herbed olive oil! Try variations with herbs, make them sweeter or savory!
- Total time does not include 3 hours proving time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving