Chickpea Fennel Crackers (Chana Murmura Mathri). Vegan, Gluten Free. A delicious and easy snack that great with dips and other nibbles. Jump to Recipe
Chickpea Fennel Crackers (Chana Murmura Mathri) Vegan Gluten Free
- 1 cup (164 g) chickpeas (garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained if canned. Soaked overnight and pressure cooked till tender, if using dry beans)
- 1/2 cup (7 g) puffed rice (rice krispies)
- 3 Tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoom (0.5 teaspoom) salt (depends on the chickpeas you use, the canned ones might already be salted)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) black salt (kala namak)
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) fennel seeds (Saunf you can also sub other spices like Cumin, carom or nigella seeds or herbs like thyme, basil)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or organic canola oil
- Mash the Chickpeas well.
- Pulse the puffed rice to get a coarse flour. Add this flour, salt, pepper, spices and oil to the chickpeas and knead for 2 minutes until well combined. Taste test and adjust salt and spice. (Use Wheat flour to make the dough easier to handle in case you want to make intricate shapes)
- The dough will be sticky but will mostly fall apart when you try to roll it out. Add chickpea flour and knead to make a non sticky dough.
- Depending on the chickpeas used (canned versus cooked), you might not need extra moisture. If the dough it too dry and crumbles, add a few teaspoons of water at a time and knead into a somewhat holding together dough.
- Check by pressing a small portion out into a round disc. If it falls apart while pressing, then add a little more Chickpea flour and drops of water to make the dough smoother.
- Roll this out between 2 parchment papers into a little less than 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out favorite shapes, or just cut parallel lines using knife or pizza cutter. Dont worry if each piece doesnt separate completely.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-35 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, break the crackers and move the center ones out.. Keep checking the crackers for crispness. Bake time depends on the thickness of the crackers. The crackers are done as soon as the centers are not soft.
- Snack with your favorite chutneys, hummus or dips! or as is or with soups.