Fusilli with Broccoli and Basil pesto is an easy and quick meat free meal, a great recipe after a long day at work. Jump to Recipe
Meatless Monday! A weeknight pasta with greens and a pop of color from the red radish. How was the weekend you all. We lost almost the whole Sunday just sitting in front of the TV(after a realy long time.. we hardly watch any:)). Well, I was in the kitchen till the first quarter, whipping up some baked garam masala chewy tofu(Tofu cubes tossed in oil, garam masala, salt and garlic powder and baked till golden and chewy) and some chewy Pretzel bites! Seems like the mouth needs to chew when watching a tense game and I guess you end up gobbling less if you have to chew and chew!
- 1.5 cups uncooked whole grain fusilli
- 5-6 florets of broccoli chopped (a little more than 1 cup chopped)
- 3 big cloves garlic
- 1/2 green chili or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons basil cashew pesto or more to taste (or blend 3/4 packed cup of basil pureed with a tablespoon of Extra virgin olive oil(evoo). 2 Tablespoons cashews and 2 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper to taste, water if needed)
- 5-6 medium red radishes sliced
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil
- Cook the Fusilli or any similar pasta al-dente in salted water and keep ready.
- In a medium pan, add oil and heat on medium. Add chopped garlic and chili and cook for a minute.
- Add in the chopped broccoli and salt. Mix and cook for half a minute.
- Add a quarter cup of water, cover and cook on low for 5-7 minutes until broccoli is a bit tender.
- Take off heat. Cool a little and blend coarsely with the basil pesto and keep ready
- In the same pan, add the chopped radishes and a few drops of oil, mix well to coat, and cook covered for a minute.
- Add in the fusilli and coarse broccoli puree and mix to coat. Taste test and add more evoo, salt and chili flakes if needed. Cook on low for a minute so everything gets heated up well.
- Serve hot. top with chopped or roasted cashew, walnut or almond slivers and nutritional yeast. optional.
- Alternatively, dont mix in the pasta and serve warm pasta topped with the coarse broccoli mix and lightly cooked radishes, salt and pepper.
Use gf pasta to make this glutenfree.
Nutritional values based on one serving