A mildly sweet yeast bread with a hint of chai spice. There is cooked quinoa in every slice, this makes for an amazing breakfast addition as is, or as a french toast.
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, nut.
- 1/4 cup quinoa uncooked
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1.5 teaspoon active yeast
- 3/4 medium pear chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chai spice My chai spice blend recipe here
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- In a large bowl, add 2 Tablespoons warm water, yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar. Mix well and wait to get frothy(8-10 minutes)
- Cook the Quinoa in 3/4 cup water, covered on low for 15 minutes or until tender. Or use scant 1 cup cooked quinoa.
- Let the quinoa cool a little, then blend cooked quinoa, pear, spices, salt and rest of the sugar.
- Add whole wheat flour, bread flour and this puree to the yeast mix and knead for 5-7 minutes. Add more bread flour or water if needed to get a soft dough. The dough might be slightly sticky.
- Let dough sit in a well greased container, covered in a warm place until doubled(1.5 hours)
- Take dough out and using a little bread flour, shape into a loaf or a jelly roll.
- Place loaf or roll with seam side down in a greased or parchment lined regular size bread pan.
- Spritz top with water and then with a little oil.
- Cover with towel and let sit until doubled. (45 minutes)
- Bake at 365 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until golden and a tap on the top sounds hollow.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Nutritional values are based on one slice