One of the things which took the longest to find a substitute for when we were transitioning into a Vegan diet, was the creamy morning Indian Chai. The Indian Chai is very very different than the Chai tea versions you get in stores here. If you know hubbs, you will know that one of the things that he is extremely fab at in the kitchen, is making the very desi creamy spicy Indian Chai tea. Usually made with a good amount of whole milk, boiled with my home made chai spice blend and fresh ginger to perfection. Almond Milk and lots of other non dairy milks cannot really be boiled without changing the taste or texture. But eventually we did settle on this particular way of Chai which we both like.
Mix the following and bring to a boil on medium heat
3/4 cup water
1.5-2 tsps favorite good quality tea(we use loose leaf tea like Jivraj )
1.5 Tbsps raw Sugar or to taste or use any other sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp Chai spice blend
1-2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Once it comes to a boil, reduce to a low simmer.
Now,(in 2013), we use only almond milk in the tea.(Almond breeze). Same process.
- Describe yourself in 3 words?Weird, will-not-trust-u-at-first, Sweet if you get past the anxious exterior!
- What is your ultimate food weakness?Maybe some spicy garlicky Daal.
- What is your favorite book of all time?None. I dont read much except going through cook books or food magazines.
- What is the most exotic place you have travelled to or through?Melghat– Tiger reserve in Maharashtra, India. A lot of the population there is from different Tribes ,who live in houses/huts of grass and wood which are short, and half under the ground. I was 15 or 16 when I went on a trip there. We went for short hikes through the forest and visited homes of these sweet and very welcoming people.
- What is your favorite aspect of blogging?Meeting people from all places bursting with different types of creativity!
- Would you describe yourself as a control freak, perfectionist or laid back & why?Somewhat of a control freak.:) But I can let go of some things now.
- Favorite Cocktail or Mocktail- please share!Lemon juice, water, with rock salt, sugar, cumin and mint.
- How do you celebrate your birthdayIt depends on hubbs:)
- Do you sing in the car; if so, at the top of your lungs or do you lip sync?At the Top of my voice!!
- What is the one goal you set for yourself in 2012 that seems the most attainable?Hmmm.. To be able to take a flight somewhere.. wait maybe just sit in a plane first.
- Who are the bloggers that most inspire you to be a better blogger, writer, photographer or all around person?There are too many to mention. A few are listed below.
- What is your favorite thing about yourself; anything goes, personality trait, feature or benefitI am thankful that my brain and heart has the compassion to be able to understand the pain around and am thankful that I was able to make some changes in my own life and hopefully affect others while doing so. Want more.. read the About Me page on the blog.