You know what, I realized that I have not posted a regular bread in a long while! Every week I end up baking some form of bread .. mutligrain, fruity, experimental random ones,(see the faux sourdough gf bread picture on the FB page). A plain bread comes out the oven probably once a month, but never sees the camera:) This time though, it did get clicked.
Easy Everyday Sandwich bread
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 1.5 cups (180 g) whole wheat flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1.25 cups (156.25 g) bread flour
- 1 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons active yeast Red Star
- 1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil
- In a large bowl, add 2 Tablespoons warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast. Mix and let sit until frothy(10 minutes).
- Add salt to the 1.5 cups wheat flour and mix. Add wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour to the yeast mix,
- Add agave, oil, rest of the water and knead 6-8 minutes in stand mixer or 8-10 minutes by hand.
- If the dough is sticky, then add a little bread flour until the the dough is soft and almost not sticky.
- Place dough in well greased container. Cover with towel and let sit for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, use a Tablespoon or so bread flour to help make the dough less sticky.
- Pull a bit on all sides and tuck under to get a taut top. Place the tucked side down on parchment lined or well greased bread pan.
- Spray water liberally on top, then sprinkle some flour or oats on top.
- Cover with towel and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 365 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until a tap on he top sounds hollow.
- Cool completely before slicing.