Bring this to the table for Breakfast or Brunch! We love a good savory breakfast any day in this house. We end up making savory breakfast 8 out of 10 times. Chilla(Chickpea flour Veggie Omelette), Savory French Toasts with Multigrain breads, Oats Poha( my dad’s favorite with loads of Peas), Upma and variations of the lot to name a few.
Sure, when Mom is visiting, we end up eating Parathas and then want to get into bed again because we eat so many.
This Frittata does not use Tofu. I dont mind Tofu in a dish like Frittata asyou can barely taste it. But I never have tofu sitting in the fridge to use. It is never there, because I can never use all of it :). Whenever I think of Tofu, I remember The Sweetest Vegan’s Tofu Scramble Video(watch it;), where she tries really hard to taste it and then immediately spits it out in the sink.:)) . * Let me tell you that this has changed snow in 2015. Dang it, Tofu grows on you.
Also see this recipe (new post) Soy-free Broccolini White Bean Chickpea flour Frittata here
I used our good old friend, Chickpea flour in the Frittata. And added browned up button mushrooms, rainbow chard and crumbled vegan almond Feta. You can use any mushrooms, greens or other veggies. I used things which came in my local farm weekly box.
If you dont like the strong chickpea taste, you can make a mung bean version, use this Mung Bean Sprout Pizza base,(use overnight soaked or sprouted mung beans) add mushrooms, veggies, 1 teaspoon baking powder, mix well and use a smaller 4.5 or 5 inch pan. Bake until toothpick from the center comes out almost clean. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Find more Savory Breakfast options here.
In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients for even distribution.
Add the wet to the dry, whisk into a smooth batter.
Add mushrooms, shallots, greens and cheese and mix.
Pour the thick batter into a greased or parchment lined pan. Spread evenly.
Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees F or until toothpick from the center comes out almost clean.
Vegan Soy free Frittata with Mushroom Chard Shallot Almond-Feta. Glutenfree Recipe
- 1/2 cup (60 g) Chickpea flour or gar-fava flour
- 1.5 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric for color, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt less if your feta is tangy
- a generous pinch of Indian black salt kala namak
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- a generous pinch of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs I used oregano and thyme or a teaspoon of dried herbs.
- Chili flakes or black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (113 ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil optional, use 1 Tbspn more coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) maple or agave syrup
- 1/4 cup (24 g) sauteed mushrooms or chopped mushrooms I sauteed the mushrooms in a little oil for a few minutes
- 1 large rainbow chard leaf chopped small or other greens
- 1 large shallot chopped small
- 1/4 cup (37.5 g) Ricki's Almond Feta cheese or Kite hill brand almond ricotta or other non dairy cheese crumbles
- a few Tablespoons non dairy cheddar or mozzarella or jack
- Add roasted squash
- In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients for even distribution.
- Add the wet to the dry, whisk into a smooth batter.
- Add chard, mushrooms, veggies and crumbled cheese and mix.
- Pour the thick batter into a greased or parchment lined pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees F / 190ºc or until toothpick from the center comes out almost clean. You want it just about done and not over baked.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve hot or cold as is or with a side of roasted veggies or potatoes. Top with additional non dairy cheese or sauces of choice.
- Can be kept refrigerated in a closed container for 2 days. Warm in the oven before serving.
- The recipe can easily be doubled. The consistency of the batter should be thick, so adjust dry ingredients if needed for a larger batch.
For a Quick version of the Feta, Soak almonds in hot water for a few hours. Peel, pulse into coarse crumbs. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, a generous pinch of sea salt, mix and let sit for a few minutes until you get all the ingredients of the frittata ready. Nutritional values based on one serving