Masala Mac and Cheese! Garam masala, cumin, fennel, cayenne, nigella and fenugreek seeds in this Indian Spiced cheese sauce. Vegan Recipe. can be gluten-free
I don’t know why I haven’t made masala mac before. The spices work out so well in the cheese sauce and makes a fabulous mac and cheese. Masala basically means spices or a sauce made with spices.
The cheese sauce with spices and cashews is flavorful and comes together quickly if you have the spices. I use quite some spices for a complex flavor. Use any that you have and the sauce will still be fabulous. I saw the Ethiopian Mac in Kittee’s book and that gave me the idea to make the Indian Masala Mac!
To make this masala mac and cheese nut-free, use soaked sunflower or pumpkin seeds in the sauce. This Mac is going to be a crowd pleaser at the next event for sure. There can never be too many mac and cheese recipes right!
mmm.. mmm .. mmmmmm
More Mac’s from the blog.
- ROASTED TOMATO CHIPOTLE MAC AND CHEESE WITH CAULIFLOWER SAUCE
- NACHO MAC AND CHEESE CASSEROLE
- SPICY MAC N YEASE
Make this today!
- 10 to 12 oz pasta
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp each of cumin seeds coriander seeds, nigella seeds
- 1/8 tsp each of fenugreek seeds fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water use 1 cup water for thinner sauce, the sauce thickens quite a bit
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion granules
- Cook the pasta according to instructions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all the whole spices/seeds and cook for 2 minutes or until they change color and get fragrant. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent. 3 to 4 minutes. Add cayenne, garam masala and cinnamon. Give it a quick mix. Add tomatoes, cashews, water, salt and lime juice, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Total 6 to 7 minutes.
- Cool slightly and blend with nutritional yeast and non dairy milk in a high speed blender, until smooth. Return the sauce to the skillet. Add cooked pasta and black pepper, onion granules cover and cook over low-medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes,or until it thickens. At this point I usually add some chopped broccoli or baby greens and fold in.
- Stir, taste and adjust salt, spice and tang. Add prepared mustard for additional tang if needed. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro and paprika. Add a side of grilled Spiced Tofu and a small salad on the side to make a meal.
If you are omitting any of the whole spices, add 1/4 tsp more garam masala.
To sub fenugreek seeds, use 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves or 1/4 tsp ground mustard.
To make this nut-free, use soaked sunflower or pumpkin seeds in the sauce
Nutritional values based on one serving