There are hot chocolate mixes or other hot or cold milk shake or beverage mixes. And then there is the Indian version. Nuts, saffron, spices( yes fennel seeds, cardamom, poppy seeds!) and a chilled Kesar Pista milk shake. Hot summer drinks in India are generally water or mango based like spiced mango cooler (Panna), yogurt Lassi, or nutty drinks.
In this shake today, Pistachios, Saffron, spices and voila! Grind everything to a powdery consistency. Store in an airtight container. Blend with cold non dairy milk, chill for a few minutes and serve as is or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream! Ready within minutes whenever you need some and so good.
Saffron, cardamom, ginger, fennel and poppy seeds add a deep flavor to the mix. Pistachios by themselves are insanely delicious blended into non dairy milk. Add sugar to the mix or add sweetener of choice later.
Keep this one handy for a quick chilled Saffron Pistachio Milk Shake or as we call is Kesar Pista Masala Milk. This will also make fabulous ice cream. Blend the mix with full fat coconut milk, taste to adjust sweet and pour into an ice cream maker.
More beverages from the blog.
Kesar Pista Masala Milk Mix - Saffron Pistachio Beverage
- 2 tbsp raw pistachio
- 1 tbsp raw cashews
- 3 tbsp sugar or add sweetener of choice later
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) cloves
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) fennel seeds optional
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) poppy seeds
- 8 to 10 strands of saffron
- Grind the nuts to a coarse powder. Add sugar and the rest of the ingredients and grind until well blended.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Blend 2 Tbsp or more of the mix with a cup of non dairy milk. Use a blender. Taste and adjust sweet if needed. Chill the blended mixture for a few minutes so the saffron gets some time to infuse the drink. Serve as is or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
Add 1/4 tsp turmeric for color.
Add ice for iced masala milk.
Omit the sugar from the mix and use sweetener of choice when blending. Nutritional values based on one serving