Vegan Swiss roll with yellow cake and fruit preserves. Easy Swiss roll Cake. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. makes 1 9 by 13 inch baking sheet or 8 inch cake pan
Swiss rolls are rolled up sponge cakes rolled up with jam, marmalade, whipped cream, or frosting. I love this simple yellow cake and made it into a swill roll a few times. On the day I took the pictures, I only had a spicy orange marmalade. so in the pictures, you can barely see the filled up spicy marmalade. So I made some again with plum berry jam today! The swiss roll tastes amazing. Moist and soft yellow cake, rolled up with some marmalade. The almond extract adds an amazing flavor to this cake.
If you are like me, you would most likely not want to go through the headache of trying to roll up the cake without it cracking. With care that can be done, but you know, with care and it still might crack when you slice! So as well just slice and layer like a layered yule log. Slice into equal rectangles and layer with your favorite preserve or frosting. Or just make the yellow cake into a cake pan or loaf! The cake smells amazing while baking and tastes great too. Add your favorite frosting and done.
Sssh.. Using neutral color marmalade also makes the Swiss roll look cleaner 😉 don’t judge me by the rolling. Rolling things patiently and me are not the best of friends 🙂 . Make this Vegan swiss roll Cake.
More cakes from the blog
- Spiced Apple Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Layer Cake for One. No Bake!
- Vegan Gingerbread Cake
- Vanilla pound cakes
Make the yellow cake. Trim the edges, cover with towel to cool.
Add filling of choice and roll with the help of a towel.
Vegan Swiss Roll with Yellow Cake
- 3/4 cup (183 ml) non dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp non dairy yogurt
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal or chia seed meal
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (56 ml) oil
- 3/4 to 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) almond extract
- 1/2 cup (60 g) vegan powdered sugar or other fine sugar
- a generous pinch of turmeric for color optional
- 1 1/4 cup (156.25 g) unbleached white flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or other starch
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- Filling: fruit preserves marmalade, jellies, vegan buttercream frosting
- In a bowl, add all the wet ingredients and whisk well until combined.
- In another bowl mix in the dry ingredients, or sift directly into the bowl with wet ingredients.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth and silky. 1 to 2 minutes. you want the gluten to develop here so the baked cake doesnt break easily.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F / 180ºc
- Pour the batter into the parchment line sheet. Spread the batter evenly using a spatula. The batter will seem like it isn't enough, but we need just a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake for 13 to 14 minutes. test with a tooth a few inches from the edge.
- Slip the parchment with the cake off the baking sheet.
- Cover with a towel for a minute or 2 so the cake temperature goes down enough to be easy to handle. Trim the edges to make an even rectangle and remove the hard edges.
- Flip the parchment with the cake onto another parchment or thin damp kitchen towel. Remove the parchment on which the cake was baked from the cake. Gently roll the cake with parchment/damp towel into a roll. The first roll may crack. Tighten as you roll. Let it cool completely. Gently unroll, Spread a light filling of choice evenly. Roll up the cake again using the parchment/towel, but not rolling it in this time. Make a tight roll. Place on serving tray. Cover and chill if needed. Slice and serve at room temperature with fruits of choice.
Infographic this week, why animal agriculture is the most destructive industry for the the planet. Found on Visual.ly