Oh my, I haven’t posted any burgers this season yet. That needs to be corrected Starting now! With these fabulous Veggie Beany Lentil Broccoli Burgers. These patties are like a burrito in a burger! Plus they have some hidden broccoli in them. Win! Serve with pico de gallo, guacamole, vegan sour cream, a dash of tabasco and a side salad or in a burger.
Simple ingredients, simple flavors! Add other veggies of choice. Use other cooked beans for variation.
I will be giving away a Spice tiffin on Instagram this week! So keep an eye out!
More burgers from the blog and there are so many tried tested and loved!
- The famous Lentil Cauliflower burger with Chipotle Habanero Mayo and Onion rings
- Spicy Chickpea Lentil Burgers
- Sweet Potato Peanut Burgers.
- BBQ Lentil Veggie Burger with Mango Carrot Slaw
- Artichoke Spinach Cauliflower Bean Burgers. Grill-able
What are some of your favorite veggie burgers ?
- 1/2 cup dry red/pink lentils masoor dal
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped broccoli 1/2 inch (if using broccoli stems, remove tough stem and woody edges and chop them finely)
- 15 oz can of Pinto beans or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 + tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley or 1 Tbsp fresh
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- a few drops of lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tbsp bread crumbs or oat/wheat/chickpea flour
Wash the lentils. Drain and add to pan. Add the tomato, garlic, salt and water, partially cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Add broccoli and mix in. Cook uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes or until the lentils are tender and all the liquid is gone. Stir once or twice in between to avoid sticking. Cool slightly. Drain if there is excess water.
Add the cooked lentils, pinto beans, spices to a bowl and mix well. Mash so that most pinto beans are well mashed and mix. Add onion and lemon juice and mix in. Taste and add more salt if needed (depends on if the pinto beans were salted, you might need 1/4 to 1/2 tsp more). The mixture will be soft. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes (or 25 minutes in the refrigerator).
Add flour or breadcrumbs. Mix in. Add more if needed. Shape into patties by pressing into a cookie cutter and pan fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side with a little oil. Or Bake at pre-heated 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve with salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream/mayo, hot sauce/tabasco!
Variation: add other veggies like beet, zucchini, cauliflower etc with the broccoli. Use other cooked beans like black beans or kidney beans for variation.
Nutritional values based on one serving