Easy Spiced Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup. Shredded broccoli cooked with spices, basil and a creamy cashew sauce. Chunky Cream of Broccoli Soup. Vegan Gluten-free Soyfree Recipe. Pin this post.
This creamy soup is super easy to put together and great to use up all that broccoli that has been sitting in the fridge way too long. This is a chunky slaw soup. Blend to smooth if you like.
Broccoli is grated, both the stems and florets, and tossed in some spices and herbs then boiled in basil cashew milk. Ready within 20 minutes. I use a mini processor to shred the broccoli which takes like half a minute. I also often don’t soak the cashews. Even a small blender like nutribullet will blend the cashews into the milk easily. Blend for a minute, let it sit for a minute then blend again until smooth. Serve this creamy basil broccoli soup with garlic bread, croutons or crackers. For super quick soup, use pre shredded broccoli slaw or broccoli carrot slaw!
Make the soup into a dip by using less non dairy milk. Use other veggies like cauliflower, carrots etc for variation.
More soups from the blog
More Broccoli recipes
- Cheesy Broccoli Balls with Marinara
- Sweet and Sour Chickpeas and Broccoli GF
- Broccoli Pinto Bean Burgers
- Roasted Broccoli with basil cashew dressing GF
- Broccoli Chickpea Flatbread Paratha
Easy Spiced Creamy Broccoli Soup. Shredded broccoli cooked with spices, basil and a creamy cashew sauce make a delicious Vegan Broccoli Soup. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion red, or white
- 2 cups or more grated broccoli or broccoli slaw
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne
- 2 tbsp or more nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp or more salt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil or dried basil to taste
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked for 15 minutes or longer (1/3 cup for creamier)
- 2 cups or more non dairy milk unsweetened
- cayenne for garnish
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add onions and a dash of salt and cook until mostly translucent. about 6 minutes.
- Add the shredded broccoli and spices. Mix and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the nutritional yeast and salt. I used some broccoli stems and some florets and processed them in a food processor to get about 2 cups grated broccoli.
- Blend the cashews and basil with 1 cup non dairy milk until smooth. Blend a couple of times if the cashews were not soaked. Add to the saucepan. Add the rest of the non dairy milk and mix in. Bring to a boil. About 5 mins. If the soup starts to thicken too much or needs more liquid. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup or more water and mix in. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes or until desired consistency. Garnish with cayenne or red pepper flakes. Serve with warm garlic bread or crackers.
For variation, add some other shredded veggies like carrots.
For less richness from the cashews, use less cashews and add 1 to 2 tbsp flour for thickening. Mix flour into non dairy milk and add. Or use 1 mashed potato mixed into the non dairy milk.
Make the soup as a dip with 3/4 to 1 cup non dairy milk
Nutritional values based on one serving