Chickpea Cauliflower Rice Biryani. 1 pot 30 Minute Meal with Veggies, Chickpeas, Spices, and “Cauliflower Rice”. Served with vegan Tomato Raita. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Grain-free Recipe. Easily made oil-free.
Biryani is a rice dish with multiple layers and flavors that is served as star dish with condiments, or a side. In this version, the rice is replaced by shredded cauliflower.
This one pot meal comes together fairly quickly if you have some spices and canned or cooked chickpeas. Chop up the veggies, shred the cauliflower and get started. Serve this Cauliflower Rie Biryani with a cooling vegan raita or mint cilantro chutney. Raita is a yogurt dip which is usually whisked yogurt, some chopped or grated veggies like onion, tomato, cucumber or boondi(fried chickpea balls), and spices like roasted ground cumin, cayenne and salt. Its a great condiment to serve with Indian food to tame the heat and flavors if needed. I use non dairy almond yogurt for this tomato raita and It works amazingly!
Indian food has all those flavors because spices! Once you have a basic set, its a matter of taking some from where ever they are and using them. This biryani uses a few. Use whichever you have. There is a ton of flavor in this dish to manage with or without a few. Change up the game by using other spices or blends like berbere or jamaican jerk! If you make this or a variation, do tag me on IG (#veganricha). I love to see how it turns out and how its served. I get a lot of ideas from you all!
More 1 pot meals from the blog
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Spinach Curry GF Soy-free
- 1 pot Peanut Butter Noodles and Veggies GF
- Sweet And Sour Chickpeas and Broccoli GF
- Kung Pao Lentils GF
- Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce GF Soy-free
- Lentil and Brown Rice soup. Soy-free GF
Cook the whole spices until fragrant. Then add onion,, ginger, garlic and cook until translucent.
Add ground spices and cook for a minute.
Add other veggies and chikpeas and cook for 5 mins.
Add cauliflower, non dairy yogurt and salt, toss well and cook for 7 mins.
Make the tomato raita. Serve Biryani garnished with cilantro or mint and tomato raita. Add some fried onions or curry caramelized onions for garnish for a traditional Biryani.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped ( 1 tbsp)
- 3/4 to 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp or more cayenne
- a good dash of black pepper
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas or use other beans or lentils
- 3/4 tsp or more salt divided
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped veggies combination of peppers, carrots, zucchini, green beans
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 tbsp plain nondairy yogurt or use full fat coconut milk or thin cashew cream
- 2.5 cups cauliflower rice 3 to 3.5 cups of florets will produce 2.5 + cups rice
- 1.5 tsp lime juice and more for garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews dry toasted or toasted in a bit of oil until golden
- 1 tbsp currants or raisins optional
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro & 2 tbsp chopped mint optional
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaves and cloves and cook for a minute or until fragrant. Add sliced onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is golden.
- Add the ground spices and mix in. cook for half a minute. Add chickpeas, 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder, veggies and mix in. Partially cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the veggies are al dente.
- Add in peas and yogurt and mix in. Cook for a minute.
- Add the riced cauliflower, 1/2 tsp salt, lime juice and toss well combine.
- Cover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Uncover, add half of the toasted nuts and currants and gently fluff the cauliflower. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Remove the bay leaf. Garnish with the remaining toasted nuts, cilantro and/or mint, lime and serve with raita.
- Combine 3/4 cup of unsweetened plain non dairy yogurt and 2 tbsp water in a bowl. Whisk to make a smooth mixture. Add 1/4 cup chopped tomato (chopped small), 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, a good dash of salt and cayenne and mix in. Taste adjust salt if needed. Garnish with 1 tbsp chopped tomatoes, a dash of cumin and cayenne.
To make cauliflower rice: Chop the cauliflower into equal size florets. You can include some tender stem. Add to a food processor and pulse in 3 to 4 seconds bursts until evenly shredded.
Variation: Add some fried onions or curry caramelized onions for garnish for a traditional Biryani.
To make Oil-free: Toast the cloves for a minute in the saucepan over medium heat. Add bay leaves, onion and water or broth to saute. Cook until translucent and continue.
Nutrtional values based on one serving