Instant Pot Sooji Halwa – Rava Kesari / Sheera. Vegan Indian Spoon Fudge. Add pineapple or bananas for Pienapple or Banana Sheera. Can be nutfree, glutenfree Jump to Recipe
Like Every year, festivals and holidays come around the same time and I try to fit recipes for both on the blog. This year, the festival of Dussehra is just around the corner and Diwali is on Nov 7. These festivals have various stories and are celebrated differently by different sects. The celebrations have some common elements like getting together with family and friends and the lots of festival food! Special meals, snacks and desserts.
Indian Desserts can be from the stores,.. sugary, dairy filled or simple halwas that are made at home. This Sooji Halwa – Soon fudge made with semolina is simple and great to whip up within minutes for company. You can make it in the Instant Pot or in a saucepan on stove top. Add nuts and dried fruit of choice. 1 Pot, Smooth, toasty, delicious! See Recipe notes for Glutenfree, Nutfree and oilfree options.
More Indian Desserts for Dussehra and Diwali
- Gajar Halwa- Carrot Spoon fudge GF.
- Malai Burfi .GF
- Mango Sheera / Halwa
- Mango Burfi – GF Bars
- Kesar Peda – GF Saffron almond fudge cookies
- 7 Cup Burfi – Chickpea flour coconut Fudge. GF
- Vermicelli Kheer Pudding – GF option
- More Indian Sweets like Gulab jamun, Kaju Katli,Laddoos.
The Halwa is also called sheera or kesari. For the Navratri festivities, it is served as a meal with brown chickpea curry and fried poori flatbread. An amazing combination!. It always invokes memories of mom frying up pooris at 6 am for the 9 am pooja.
Instant Pot Sooji Halwa - Rava Sheera
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1 cup (236.59 g) sooji (semolina, not semolina flour)
- 5 tbsp cashews
- 10 to 12 (12 ) dates chopped
- 8 to 10 tbsp sugar (date sugar, coconut sugar, jaggery powder or regular - some sugars are not as sweet, so use 2 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt , 1/4 tsp if using oil
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) ground cardamom
- 8 strands of saffron
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- Press saute on the Instant Pot. When hot, add vegan butter or oil. Add cashews and roast for a minute.
- Add dates and roast for half a minute. Add the semolina and cook for 2 mins, stirring occasionally. The semolina will start to get puffy.
- Switch off saute. Add the sugar, salt, cardamom and saffron and mix.
- Add water and mix well. You can also add 1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple or banana at this point to make pineapple kesari or banana kesari.
- Mix to pick up all the semolina from the bottom and the sides. Mix for a few seconds so the sugar dissolves.
- Close the lid, pressure cook for 3 mins. Release the pressure after 10 mins
- Mix and Fluff and serve garnished with a pinch of ground cardamom and almond, pistachio slivers.