Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Chimichurri. These Smashed potatoes are baked to a crisp and served with fresh homemade parsley chimichurri. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe Jump to Recipe
Crispy from the outside and buttery inside is how all potatoes should be! These crispy smashed potatoes make a great side with a meal. Serve these right out of the oven with dressings such as chimichurri or pesto or just some garlic.
I use yukon gold or white potatoes. They get pressure cooked (saucepan instructions are also listed), then smashed and baked. These smashed potatoes are best served fresh. If planning to make ahead, then preboil, smash and refrigerate and bake when needed.
You can use various flavors and toppings with these smashed potatoes other than chimichurri, a simple basil pesto, some minced garlic and black pepper, vegan parm and garlic, tahini sauce, spices such as chili blend or cajun. Baby Potatoes work best here. But you can use regular size as well. Just slice into quarters and smash and bake!
Ingredients for Vegan Smashed Potatoes with chimichurri and substitution options
- Smashed Potatoes need baby potatoes, salt, freshly ground black pepper and olive oil. You can use some fresh herbs or minced garlic or pesto as well after brushing the smashed cooked potatoes with oil.
- If you dont have baby potatoes, use regular size potatoes. They will take a few minutes longer to cook. Cut into quarters and smash and bake.
- Chimichurri sauce has parsley, basil, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. You can use more lime instead of vinegar. Use cilantro and parsley, or just all parsley or a combination of other fresh herbs with parsley.
Cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or saucepan. Drain, let them sit for a few minutes, then flatten on a bakingsheet with a potato masher or fork.
Brush olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and minced garlic if using. Bake until crisp. Meanwhile, pulse the ingredients for the chimichurri in a food processor and set aside. Serve the potatoes hot from the oven, dressed with chimichurri
More Summer Recipes
- Cajun Spiced Roasted Cauliflower with Chimichurri
- 10 Minute Taco Spiced White Bean Pepper jack quesadillas
- Grilled Cauliflower Cheddar Pesto Zucchini Sandwich
- Grilled Red Pepper Hummus Roasted Sweet Potato Sandwich
- Roasted Veggie Sandwich
More Smashed Potatoes to try
Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Chimichurri
For the potatoes
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes , yukon gold or white or mix, see notes for regular size potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil , olive oil or organic safflower or melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
For the chimichurri
- 1 cup (60 g) packed parsley or one bunch parsley leaves and tender stems, chopped
- 1/4 cup (4 g) basil packed or use cilantro
- 4 cloves (6 cloves) of raw garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp vinegar, apple cider or balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) each salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp or more avocado for creamyness optional
- Cook the potatoes: Add to a pressure cooker with enough water to cover the potatoes. Close the lid and pressure cook for 6 mins, let the pressure release naturally.Saucepan: Add potatoes and tap water(about an inch over the potatoes) to a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to cook for 25 mins or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes for 5 mins. Brush oil on baking sheet, place potatoes and press with fork or potato masher to flatten to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush oil on the potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously. (you can also add minced garlic and herbs). Bake at 400 deg F (205 C) for 25 to 30 mins.
- Meanwhile process the chimichurri ingredients in a food processor or blender with a few tbsp of water until coarsely blended. Taste and adjust flavor with salt, lime.
- Take the potatoes off the baking dish and serve hot, dressed with chimichurri.To make ahead: Boil the potatoes, flatten, cool and refrigerate for upto 3 days. Make the chimichurri and refrigerate in a closed container for upto 3 days