These cheddar spinach bell pepper spicy buns make a great snack. Fill with your favorite sandwich fillings or have them on their own. Vegan Recipe.Jump to Recipe
Another savorysnackable bun!
Cheddar Spinach Bell Pepper Spicy Buns
- 1.5 cups (190 g) bread flour
- 1.5 cups (180 g) whole wheat flour
- 1.5 teaspoon active yeast
- 3/4 cup (187 ml) warm water
- 1/2 cup (0.9 g) spinach chopped or frozen cut leaf
- 3/4 cup (85 g) shredded vegan cheddar
- 1/2 cup (75 g) chopped green bell pepper
- 1 thai chili chopped
- 4 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) carom seeds (Ajwain)
- Warm 1/2 cup of water and add in the yeast. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours and spices and keep aside.
- In a pan, melt 1 teaspoon butter and lightly cook the bell pepper and chili for 5 minutes until the bell pepper starts to brown on the edges.
- Add in the spinach, pinch of salt and some garlic powder and cook for another 2 minutes. Keep the mixture to cool before adding to the flours.
- Add the cooled bell pepper spinach mixtures to the flours.
- Add in the shredded cheese and mix well.
- Add in the yeast mixture and knead into a soft dough. Add more water if needed.
- Place dough in well greased and covered container for an hour to rise until doubled.
- Punch the dough down and make small balls.
- Tuck the sides of each ball under to get a better upward rise from the bun.
- Place the balls half an in inch apart on a baking tray.
- Cover with towel and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Bake at 360 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until the tops are brown and the buns sound hollow!
- Enjoy with butter, olive oil or just a toasted snack!!