Aloo Bharta - Indian Mashed Potatoes
Aloo Bharta - Indian Mashed Potatoes. Mashed potatoes with mustard oil, onion, chile, cilantro, salt, pepper and vegan butter. Easy Side. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes yukon gold or red
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chopped red onion
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp or more roasted ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne/red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp or more black pepper
- 1/2 tsp or more salt to taste
- 1 to 2 Tbsp water
- a few Tbsp chopped cilantro or scallion
Cook the potatoes. Boil, microwave or pressure cook(14 to 16 minutes) until well cooked.
Peel if desired and mash well until very smooth.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix in. Add a Tbsp or so water if needed to smooth out the mixture.
Taste salt and spice. Serve warm topped with vegan butter or olive oil and black pepper.
To make without mustard oil: Use a neutral oil and add 1/2 tsp ground mustard and mix in.
Or heat 1 tsp neutral oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and wait until they start to pop. Drizzle the tempered oil and seeds into the mashed potatoes. For variation, use cumin seeds to temper the oil.
Nutrition Values is approx 1 of 4 Serves.
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 344mg | Potassium: 659mg | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 5.3mg