Chickpea flour Vegan Omelet - Fluffy Chickpeas flour Omelette
This Vegan Omelet is fluffy and full of veggies, does not have Tofu. Free of Dairy,egg, corn, yeast, gluten. Makes 3 to 4
- 1 cup chickpea flour , I use Bobs Red Mill Chickpea/Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal or chia seed meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp each of turmeric garlic powder, kala namak(Indian black salt), baking soda, cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp non dairy plain yogurt , unsweetened or lightly sweetened, I used unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk yogurt
- 1 1/4 cup water
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
- raw jalapeno slices or pickled jalapeno slices
- chopped cilantro optional
- Variations: Add 1 to 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor. Add 1/4 tsp carom seeds/ajwain for Indian Chilla flavor. Add chopped cilantro and veggies to the batter.
In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
Add the non dairy yogurt and 1 cup of water to dry and mix in. Add more water if needed to make a thick pour-able batter. Mix well so there are no lumps. let sit for 2 mins.
Heat a heavy bottom skillet at medium heat. When the skillet is hot, spray or brush oil to grease. Place tomato, onion and jalapeno slices on the pan. Mix and Pour the batter to cover the slices. Move the pan if needed to move the batter around.
* Alternatively, pour the batter and spread on the pan. then place the vegetable slices on the batter. This will be easier to flip than the veggies at the bottom. Make thinner and smaller pancakes to get a hang of these to start with.
Cook for 4 to 7 mins, depends on the pan and the thickness of the pancake. The first pancake usually takes longer as the pan heats up.
You can serve it as soon as the center is set. or flip very carefully and cook for another 2 to 3 mins and serve. Serve hot with ketchup, Sriracha, chutneys, roasted potatoes, hash browns or other breakfast fix ins.
If you don't have vegan yogurt, use a mixture of 3 Tbsp non dairy milk + 1/4 tsp vinegar + 1/2 tsp lemon juice. The yogurt though makes the pancake much fluffier.
Add shredded vegan cheese or shredded veggies like cauliflower or carrots to the batter for a thicker pancake.
If you are using besan, you will need slightly less water to make a thick batter. Chickpea flour does much better in this recipe because of its holding properties.
Add 1/2 tsp baking powder to the dry for fluffier pancakes.
If the pancake loves to stick to the pan, just scramble it up.
Chickpea batter sticks a lot to the pan if it isnt a good non stick or seasoned cast iron. Use a good dedicated pan, and let it cook through before flipping
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 423mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 9.3mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2.1mg