1 Pot Lentil Tortilla Soup (Instant Pot or Saucepan)
Easy Tortilla Soup with Red lentils. 1 Pot 30 minutes! Add veggies of choice, garnish with tortilla chips or avocado. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. To double, double everything except water. Start with a bit less than double water/liquid.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano and thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or chipotle pepper powder or both
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red lentils quick cooking lentils - masoor dal, washed and drained
- 2 cups water or broth
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped, or 1.5 cup crushed tomatoes from a can
- 1 to 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 cup water or broth
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Crumbled tortilla chips for garnish avocado and other garnishes and lime juice
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes Add jalapeno, bell peppers and mix and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the spices and herbs and mix in. Add a pinch of allspice or loves for additional flavor if you wish. Add the washed and drained lentils and water and cook for 11 to 12 minutes or until al dente.
Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well. Add other additions such as 1/2 cup corn or cooked black beans or other beans, veggies, some chopped up corn tortilla at this point. (I make the soup with or without beans , pictured without beans). Cook for 10 minutes or until desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and heat.
Add a dash of lime juice, garnish with chips, avocado, cilantro. See IP instructions in Notes.
Instant Pot: Saute the onion, garlic, jalapeno and peppers for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and a total of 2 cups of water. Close the lid on sealing and cook on manual for 3 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Taste and adjust, garnish and serve.
Nutrition is 1 of 2 serves
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 506mg | Potassium: 862mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1850IU | Vitamin C: 75.7mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 4.3mg