Celery Black Pepper Tofu
Easy Celery Black Pepper Tofu. Spicy, hot. Roasted crisp tofu, added to celery & black pepper sauce. How to make Black pepper Tofu. Vegan Gluten-free nut-free. Can be oil-free. serves 2 with rice.
- 14 oz firm tofu cubed (1.5 cups) - no need to press
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 to 4 Tbsp cornstarch or other starch
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp oil
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 dried red chilies chopped or broken into 2 pieces use 1 for less heat. I like arbol or cayenne in this. Use milder chile like california red for more flavor than heat
- 1 to 1.5 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper or onion
- 1/4 tsp white pepper optional
- 1 tsp or more coarsely crushed black pepper preferably ground/crushed with a mortar pestle
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp maple or sugar
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
Chop the Tofu and keep ready. Make a thick batter of soy sauce through cornstarch. (add a tsp more water if needed, but dont add too much as the tofu will add its own moisture when you mix it in). Immediately Add tofu and mix to coat. * If you leave the batter to sit, it will solidify in a few minutes and will need extra moisture to be batter again.
Let it marinate for 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc. Place the tofu cubes on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or longer. Or pan fry in oil until golden. Keep aside
Make the sauce:
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic ginger and red chili and cook until garlic is translucent. 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the celery and peppers. Mix, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until celery is cooked to preference. Stir once in between.
Add the baked tofu, pepper, soy sauce, 1 tbsp water, maple, vinegar and mix. Cook for 2 minutes. Serve hot!
To make oil free: Cook the garlic, ginger and chili in a tbsp or so broth until golden and proceed. Skip the first step and add pressed and cubed tofu directly at the last step. Cover and cook for 5 minutes and serve.
Variations: You can also use meat subs like beyond meat strips at the last step instead of tofu for a black pepper chikin.,
- Add half the black pepper if you are unsure about the heat level and mix in the rest later to preference.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 591mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 495IU | Vitamin C: 79.6mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg